Wednesday 25 June 2014

Surrey Open Studios Visit 1: Joanne Aylwin

Every June artists and makers in Surrey open their studios to welcome visitors: www.surreyopenstudios.org.uk 

Looking at this year’s catalogue I realised there are many textile artists and makers in my home county and I decided to visit some. My first visit was to Joanne Aylwin. Located in Farnham, she creates decorative pieces through weaving and mixed media. Her studio doubles as a gallery dedicated to textile artists/makers to show and sell their work. www.joaylwin.co.uk

Jo Aylwin Gallery/Studio
Jo has a small but lovely space. She had several weaving looms on the go and beautiful pieces on display. When we talked about her work, her passion and dedication shone through. Her gallery is a great new find for affordable, one of textile pieces. We talked about my course at OCA and she offered to help me with assignment 4 (all about weaving). We also talked about being a small maker. She indicated that it is a labor of love and not necessarily financially rewarding one. It resonates with what I am reading about craft-based textiles for the research point. (I will write a separate post about it)

Meeting Joanne made me think that craft/makers are more community minded compared to more business minded designer/makers. The fact that she offered help for free demonstrates that she is happy to spread the love of making. I am definitely taking up on her offer and visiting her in July.

Here are some of her work:
Jo Aylwin: Aphrodite's Girdle (Hand Woven)

Jo Aylwin: Remembrance (Hand Woven)

Jo Aylwin: Evolution (Hand Felted and Embroidered)

No comments:

Post a Comment