Tuesday 30 September 2014

Progress on Theme Book and Project 10:

My subject matter is skin, a metaphor for our identity. Like many, I think there are many layers of identity. It takes afford to close up and see the different elements that makes a person.
Although it is very broad subject, I plan to approach it very practically. I am working two ideas at the moment:


  • Look closer: Zoom in: I am sketching close up images of the visual sources I gathered. Things look different from a distance close up and you see much more. I try to sketch the details we over look, going over them with lines. Like this hand print. I am also considering machine embroidery ideas. These lines could be threads.
  • Look further- Zoom out: Again sketching animal skin, I see small parts (not all uniform) come together to define the surface. So planning to make paper and fabric collages: individual bits coming together to create a “whole’.

Saadet Payne

Saadet Payne

I continue my research and I found these two artists:

Laura Gurton www.lauragurton.com 
Gurton states that her paintings evolves from the balance between ‘chance’ and ‘control’, a bit like mother nature.  Hence she argues that ‘in nature, fundamental processes that produce forms are similar, but never identical.  Think of the seemingly infinite variety of leaves, for example, or the fact that there are billions of human beings on the earth at this time, no two exactly alike.’ Her painting resembles cellular images under a microscope. I find the ideas behind her work very interesting.

Sophie Standing: www.sophiestandingart.com
Standing is exceptionally talented. Her African animal appliqué/embroideries are amazing not only because they are so detailed and as accurate as a photograph but also her work has depth and dimension. Her embroidery and appliques techniques are far from 2D applications we are used to. She is drawing with fabric and thread and her pictures offer a visual feast.
Sophie Standing - Buffalo


No comments:

Post a Comment